Ancestors of John Lanier II
Generation No. 1
1. John Lanier II (Source: (1) World Family Tree Vol 14, Pedigree # 2650., (2) World Family Tree Vol 16, Pedigree 264.), born 1655 in England; died 1719 in Prince George County, Virginia. He was the son of 2. John Lanier I and 3. Lucreece. He married (1) Lucreece? 1677. He married (2) Sarah Edmunds 1685 in Charles City County, Virginia. She was born Abt. 1660, and died Abt. 1723 in Prince George County, Virginia.
Notes for John Lanier II:
John Lanier's children -- John, Robert and Sampson-- were by his first wife.
Sarah and Nicholas were children of John Lanier and second wife, Sarah Edmunds.
Notes for Sarah Edmunds:
Sarah was the widow of William Edmunds.
Generation No. 2
2. John Lanier I, born October 1631 in Lewisham, England; died 1719 in prob. Charles City County , Virginia. He was the son of 4. Clement Lanier and 5. Hannah Collet. He married 3. Lucreece in England.
3. Lucreece, born in England; died in Charles City County, Virginia.
Notes for John Lanier I:
John Lanier, b. 1631, took part in Bacon's Rebellion in Virginia, 1676.
Child of John Lanier and Lucreece is:
1 i. John Lanier II, born 1655 in England; died 1719 in Prince George County, Virginia; married (1) Lucreece? 1677; married (2) Sarah Edmunds 1685 in Charles City County, Virginia.
Generation No. 3
4. Clement Lanier, born Bef. 1609; died November 06, 1661 in East Greenwich, County Kent, England. He was the son of 8. Nicholas Lanier and 9. Lucreece Bassano. He married 5. Hannah Collet March 1627/28 in St. Margaret's, Lee, England.
5. Hannah Collet, died December 12, 1653 in East Greenwich, County Kent, England.
Notes for Clement Lanier:
Clement, the fifth son of Nicholas and Lucreece Lanier, a musician on the recorder, a type of flute, was also a Gentleman of the King's Chamber. He married March 1628 at St. Margarets, Lee, Hannah Collet. They had 11 children, some registered in a very old book of Greenwich and Lewisham; after 1637, others were recorded in the Parish of St Alphege, three are missing, John, Elizabeth, and Charles.
Children of Clement Lanier and Hannah Collet are:
i. Frances Lanier
ii. Lucretia Lanier
iii. Charles Lanier
2 iv. John Lanier I, born October 1631 in Lewisham, England; died 1719 in prob. Charles City County , Virginia; married (1) Lucreece in England; married (2) Sarah Edmunds 1685.
v. Susanna Lanier, born Bef. 1633.
vi. Hannah Lanier, born Abt. 1635.
vii. Nicholas Lanier, born Abt. 1640.
viii. Robert Lanier, born Abt. 1641.
ix. Lionel Lanier, born Abt. 1643.
x. William Lanier, born Abt. 1645.
Generation No. 4
8. Nicholas Lanier, born Bef. 1561 in Rowen, France; died Bef. January 28, 1611/12 in East Greenwich, County Kent, England. He married 9. Lucreece Bassano.
9. Lucreece Bassano (Source: World Family Tree Vol 16, Pedigree #264.), died January 04, 1633/34 in East Greenwich, County Kent, England.
Notes for Nicholas Lanier:
Nicholas Lanier's will was dated January 28, 1611/12. He was in London
1550, and in Paris 1561. He was the father of eleven children.
The will of Nicholas Lanier, Gent. was proved July 1612, leaving lands and goods to wife Lucreece; to sons John, Alphonse, Innocent, Jerome, Clement, 12 shillings; to Andrea 20 pounds if he does not have my place; four daughters, three of whom are unmarried, I leave to the discretion of my wife Lucreece.
Notes for Lucreece Bassano:
Nicholas Lanier's wife was Lucreece Bassano [b. Sept. 26, 1553 in London,
England, died Jan. 4, 1632/3 in Rochester, East, England] the daughter of
Antonio Bassano [b. circa 1510 in Venice, Italy, died Oct. 1574 in Venice,
Italy] and Elena Ellen Denazzi [b. 151 in Venice, Italy the daughter of
Beneditto De Nazzi]. Antonio Basano's parents were Jeronimo Bassano [b. 1480
in Bassano Del Grappa, Italy] and Elena De Dasi. Jeronimo's father was Santo
Bassano. The town of Bassano del Grappa has its own web site with a picture
of the town on it. The address is too long to give you, but you can find it
by going to www.google.com and typing in Bassano del Grappa.
(from an researcher via email 9-20-01)
From a web page 1-20-02)
The dates of birth/marriage of Lucreece Bassano are unclear.
Story #1 b. 9/24/1556, London; m. 2/13/1570-1.
Story #2 b. 1530-40, London; m. bef 1565.
Based on children and husband Nicholas Lanier's previous marriage, Story #1 is far more believable putting the wedding at All Hallows Barking Parrish, London, ENG. She was apparently his second wife, but the pair had 9 children:
Alphonso Lanier (**; b. c1572; d. 20Jun1613; m. poet Emelia Bassano 18Oct1592 same Bassano family)
Innocent Lanier (**; b. c1573; d. 1625; never m.)
Ellen Lanier (b. c1577; d. 1628; m. Alphonse Ferrabosco; 6 children)
Jerome Lanier (**; m. Phrisdewith Grafton; m2. Elizabeth Willeford 10Jan1627; 13 children total)
Clement Lanier (**; b. c1590/92 in England; d. 06Nov1661 in England)
Andrea Lanier (**; buried 02Nov1660; m. Joyce Perry Jun1628; 8 children)
Frances Lanier (m. 04Feb1618 at St. Margaret's Lee, Kent ENG to Thomas Foxe)
Katherine Lanier (b. c1583; d. aft 02Sep1660; m. Daniel Ferrand)
Mary Lanier (buried 13Oct1676; never m.)
Information about her death is unknown other than at the proving of Nicholas' will in July 1612, in England, she was still alive.
Children of Nicholas Lanier and Lucreece Bassano are:
i. John Lanier, born Bef. 1566.
ii. Alphonse Lanier, born Abt. 1567 in Camberwell, County Surry, England.
iii. Innocent Lanier, born Abt. 1568.
iv. Jerome Lanier, born Abt. 1569.
v. Andrea Lanier, born Bef. 1608.
vi. Catherine Lanier, born Bef. 1608.
vii. Ellen Lanier, born Bef. 1608.
viii. Frances Lanier, born Bef. 1608.
ix. Mary Lanier, born Bef. 1608.
4 x. Clement Lanier, born Bef. 1609; died November 06, 1661 in East Greenwich, County Kent, England; married Hannah Collet March 1627/28 in St. Margaret's, Lee, England.
© 2000, 2001, 2002 Anne Babin. All materials in this web site are included.